28 January 2014

Sauteed Cabbage with Sausage and Mushrooms

Wow - this is GOOD. Easy too. I know I will be making this dish often. It's been a week since I made this (yes, I am behind on my posting). Just typing the blog entry about the dish makes me want some right now!



8 oz chicken or turkey sausage, cut into rounds (I used Johnsonville Apple Chicken Sausage)
2 tsp olive oil
2 c sliced mushrooms (I like baby bellas)
1/2 medium onion, thinly sliced
3 cloves garlic, minced 
1 small head of green cabbage, hard core removed and sliced
1/2 tsp dried sage
dash cayenne pepper (I used more than a dash because we like the spice)
2 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
salt and pepper, to taste

In a large skillet, brown the sausage over medium heat. Once it is browned, set aside. Add 1 tsp oil to the pan, then add the mushrooms, onion, and garlic. Saute until the onions are translucent and the mushrooms are tender. Remove them from the pan and set aside.


Add the remaining oil, then add the cabbage and start sauteing. Season with sage and cayenne. When the cabbage begins to soften, return the sausage and mushroom mixture to the pan. Cook until the cabbage becomes very tender. Taste for seasoning and adjust with salt and pepper to your liking. Add more cayenne if you want the saute to be really spicy. Toss in the vinegar at the last minute, then serve immediately. YUM!


Original recipe found here.


2 comments:

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS