31 July 2014

Spicy Eggplant Fritters

Yum!! I pinned these a while back, but just never got around to making them. I found myself with an eggplant in the fridge that I needed to use, and thought I'd give it a try. So glad I did! I never would have thought to make eggplant like this, and it was really delicious. I think the hot sauce is what makes these great, but if you don't like hot I'm sure you could leave it out and add some other good stuff.



1 lb eggplant, cut into 8 1/2" thick rounds
2 large eggs (I used EggBeaters)
1/2 tsp hot sauce of choice (I used WAY more)
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1/4 c + 1/2 tbsp minced basil
Cooking spray



Pound each eggplant slice on both sides with a meat tenderizer (using the rough side - see pictures from original recipe if needed). Set aside.

In a shallow large dish with edges whisk the eggs, Tabasco, salt, black pepper and 1/2 tbsp basil for 20 seconds. Dip an eggplant slice into the mixture on both sides and set aside inside the dish. Repeat the same step with remaining eggplant slices and set aside.

Preheat large non-stick skillet on medium heat and spray with cooking spray. Saute the eggplant for 5 - 7 minutes per side. Discard the egg wash/marinade. Transfer to a platter and sprinkle with remaining basil. 

Original recipe found here.

We had these along with Baked Portobello Parmesan and Balsamic Roasted Green Beans. DELISH.



No comments:

Post a Comment

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS