31 July 2014

Healthy Slow-Cooker Steak Fajitas

Well, I have a little over a week left of summer, so of course I'm starting to look for more healthy slow-cooker recipes. I knew I was going to be busy most of the day Tuesday, so I googled "skinny crock pot recipes" and found this "10 Skinny Crock Pot Recipes" from Texas Fit Chicks.

I did prep it the night before: I sliced up the onions & peppers, and Will went ahead and sliced the steak for me. I even mixed the marinade so it would just be ready to pour on. That made it really quick and easy to get ready in the morning. I was able to find my favorite 60 calorie low-carb tortillas, which made these a healthy, delicious dinner. This recipe will be utilized often during the school year!




3 bell peppers, any color (I used red, orange, yellow) (cut into 1/2 in strips)
1 onion (cut into 1/2 in strips)
2 lbs beef (cut into thin strips - skirt steak is perfect)
3/4 c water
2 tbsp red wine vinegar
1 tbsp lime juice
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
8 tortillas
1/2 c salsa
1/2 c shredded reduced fat cheddar cheese
light sour cream (or plain nonfat Greek yogurt)diced green onions

Place the peppers & onion in slow-cooker. Top with beef. Combine the water, vinegar, lime juice, seasonings; pour over meat. Cover & cook on low for 8-9 hrs or until tender. I cooked mine on Low for about 6 hrs and it was perfect! Using a slotted spoon, place a little meat mixture down center of each tortilla. Top with salsa, cheese, light sour cream (we use plain nonfat Greek yogurt), green onions.

Original recipe found here.

I made Roasted Okra and baked jalapenos stuffed with Laughing Cow cheese. 






No comments:

Post a Comment

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS