07 August 2013

"Mac & Cheese" Spaghetti Squash

OMG. How do I adequately describe this? I just can't... you have to try it to fully understand. So creamy, cheesy, gooey, and delicious. ONLY 270 calories for the entire recipe!!

So I followed this recipe, and it's a single serving recipe which is great since Will is out of town. But I wanted just a little more sauce (because I felt like I had 2 c of squash instead of 1 1/2 c it calls for, and I was going to add veggies.) So I recalculated the calories the way I made it and it came to 270 cal. A little bit bit of a bigger serving and a little cheesier for only 50 calories more. The original recipe has 220 for the whole recipe. I also used the cheddar/mozzarella because I did not have a Mexican blend.

Of course this could also be split in half for sides for two people. I just ate all of mine and I am very full. So it's good and filling. :) A big ol' bowl of spaghetti (squash) and cheesy goodness. Can't go wrong.

Below I am posting the recipe for how I made mine.


2 c spaghetti squash
1 tbsp flour
salt/pepper
1/2 c skim milk
1/4 c fat-free shredded cheddar
1/4 c part-skim shredded mozzarella
3 green onions, sliced
1/2 small green bell pepper, diced
1/2 tomato, diced
1 tbsp Parmesan cheese

This is how I always cook my spaghetti squash: Heat oven to 375 degrees. Poke squash with a fork all over. Place in a baking dish (whole) on its side. Bake for 1 hr. Remove. Let cool, then cut in half. Scoop out the middle part and the seeds. Use a fork to "shred" the squash. I think it's the easiest way.

Ok, now that we have cooked squash... Preheat oven to 350. Spray a small casserole dish with cooking spray. Set aside.

In a small saucepan, over medium heat, whisk together flour and salt & pepper. Slowly whisk in milk until smooth. Cook and stir until thickened. Remove from heat and stir in cheese until melted and smooth.

In a bowl, stir the cheese sauce into the cooked spaghetti squash until well combined. Add some of the tomatoes and green onion, and all of the peppers. Mix well. Spread in prepared casserole dish.
Sprinkle with the remaining green onions, tomatoes,  and Parmesan cheese. Bake for 20 minutes or until heated through. Then enjoy because it's amazing!!!

Original recipe found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS