02 January 2014

Pesto Zucchini "Spaghetti"

Oh wow!! This seems so simple, but it is SO good!! It's just the best combo of tastes - zucchini (which has a texture so close to spaghetti!), pesto, roasted broccoli and tomatoes that are so juicy.. Parmesan. I'm getting hungry again.

I've had several people ask how to make the zucchini into the noodles. I just use this $10 mandolin from Bed, Bath, and Beyond. Super easy. Check it out here.






4 medium zucchini, shredded using mandolin (I used 6 zucchini because I felt like mine were kind of small)
salt
1/2 c green onions, sliced
2 c broccoli florets
2 c cherry tomatoes
2 tbsp prepared basil pesto (I used Buitoni)
fresh Parmesan or Romano cheese, for garnish
Place zucchini strips in a colander over a bowl or in the sink. Sprinkle zucchini with salt and toss to combine. Let the zucchini sit for 15 minutes while the salt extracts the moisture. Drain excess water, squeezing zucchini. I also lay mine out on paper towels to try and dry it some that way.
I roasted my tomatoes/broccoli. You can saute it if you want, but I love the flavor roasting it added. Heat oven to 425 degrees. Toss broccoli and tomatoes with a little olive oil, salt, and garlic powder. Bake for 15-20 min. 
Meanwhile, heat a large pan to medium heat. Add the green onions and saute for a minute or two, then add zucchini, 2 tbsp of pesto, and roasted broccoli, tossing to combine all ingredients. The mixture only needs to warm up, so 2-3 minutes of cooking ought to do it. Serve with your roasted tomatoes and freshly grated Parmesan cheese.
Original recipe found here.
We had this dish with Oven Fried Eggplant.


No comments:

Post a Comment

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS